Brimming with trails and indoor running options, it’s easy to go the distance with your fitness routine while you vacation in Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
Whether you’re dedicated to training for an upcoming race or you just want to get out for a fun run, there are miles of paved and unpaved trails, as well as indoor tracks and treadmills available in Glenwood Springs. Here are just five possibilities:
1. Rio Grande Trail – A paved, easy-grade trail that follows the contours of the Roaring Fork River, the Rio Grande Trail connects Glenwood Springs with Carbondale, El Jebel, Basalt and Aspen. The 42-mile path enables runners to easily customize their training distance.
2. Atkinson Trail – Set a comfortable pace on this paved, mostly flat trail. Just over 3 miles (a 5K) in length, it follows the Roaring Fork River near Rivers Restaurant and the Glenwood Park subdivision.
3. Glenwood Canyon Recreation Trail – Sixteen miles of multiuse pavement provides runners with a combination of training variety and stunning scenery. The path hugs the Colorado River through Glenwood Canyon. Runners can access the trail from behind the Yampah Vapor Caves or by driving to any of the canyon’s four rest areas.
4. Wulfsohn Trail – Located on the hillside behind Glenwood Meadows Shopping Center, the 4-mile network of moderately difficult, unpaved trails is ideal for anyone up for the challenge of off-road running. Expect steep climbs; rocks, gravel, and after a heavy rain, some mud.
5. Glenwood Springs Recreation Center – For those who prefer their workouts in an air-conditioned setting with showers nearby, log miles from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. on the Glenwood Rec Center’s treadmills, elliptical machines and indoor track.
These are just a handful of places to go for a run in Glenwood Springs, find out more and book lodging at visitglenwood.com.