Glenwood Springs’ highlight summer festival marks two milestones in 2017: Strawberry Days celebrates 120 years, and Colorado Mountain College turns 50!
This year’s Strawberry Days Glenwood Springs theme: 50 Years of Peace, Love and Learning commemorates both benchmark achievements. The Glenwood Springs Chamber Resort Association (GSCRA) and Colorado Mountain College (CMC) have a shared history that dates back half a century.
In 1962, Glenwood Springs Chamber of Commerce manager David Delaplane gathered support for a community college system based on the Western Slope. Petitions were signed, land was donated, and in 1967, the first classes were held on campuses in Leadville and in Glenwood Springs, Colorado. Even today, the GSCRA and CMC are intertwined, sharing space at 802 Grand Ave. with the Glenwood Springs Visitor Center on ground level and CMC administrative offices on the upper floors.
The summer of ’67 also happened to be the fabled “Summer of Love,” the psychedelic heyday of hippies and flower power. So, for the Strawberry Days of Peace, Love and Learning, bring on the tie-dye.
2017 Strawberry Days At-a-Glance:
- Kicking off the festivities, the Miss Strawberry Days Fashion Show takes place at Glenwood Hot Springs on Thursday, June 15, with the crowning of Miss Strawberry Days on Friday night in Sayre Park
- The jam-packed lineup at the Main Stage in Sayre Park includes Saturday night headliner The Freddy Jones Band
- The annual parade down Grand Ave. on Saturday morning culminates with free strawberries and ice cream served in Sayre Park afterwards
- An arts & crafts fair with over 100 artisans, a food court and beer garden
- FamilyFest offers children’s amusements, pony rides, a petting zoo, mini train, face painters, the Salida Circus performers and more.
- Wright’s Amusements Strawberry Days Carnival takes place at the Glenwood Springs Mall June 15-18
- The Strawberry Shortcut Race, Rotary Pancake Breakfast, and Kiwanis Ball Race all happen on Sunday, June 18
Find out all the groovy details about these festival events and more on the Strawberry Days Glenwood Springs Facebook Page.