BEST FLY-FISHING IN COLORADO
Glenwood Springs is Colorado’s land of water—abundant with hot springs and two rivers—it offers visitors some of the best fly fishing in Colorado.
There aren’t too many places located at the intersection of two waterways—Glenwood Springs is one of the few making it a natural destination for Colorado fly fishing. With water tumbling fresh from the high country, the Colorado River and the Roaring Fork River are the perfect habitats for a thriving population of trout—brookies, browns, cutthroats, and rainbows.
TOP 6 REASONS TO GO FLY-FISHING IN GLENWOOD SPRINGS
- Gold medal water. This designation is given to only the most pristine waterways and Colorado’s longest stretch of Gold Medal Water is located right here in the Roaring Fork Valley.
- The great outdoors. Fly fishing in Glenwood Springs might just be one of the easiest and most enjoyable ways to access Colorado’s majestic scenery. Imagine yourself aboard a fishing dory—snow-capped Mount Sopris in your view, blue skies overhead, eagles patrolling the river, a herd of elk or deer grazing in a meadow as you float downriver—a perfect Colorado day whether the fish are biting or not.
- Solitary or social. When it comes to fly-fishing, the choice to go as a group or cast away by yourself is entirely up to you. There’s something wonderfully peaceful about fly fishing knee deep in the river in the solitude of a quiet morning. Conversely, the joy of hooking a lunker is amplified when you’re fishing with friends.
- It’s a workout. Fly fishing may look easy, even zen-like, but it’s quite the workout. Wading against stream currents and balancing on an uneven river bottom will challenge your lower body; swinging the rod to-and-fro engages arm and back muscles.
- A year-round activity. Peak season for fly fishing is in the warm weather months from April through October, but winter and off-season fishing are prime times to go when there is less pressure on the fish populations.
- It’s fun. Fly fishing is a lot like golf—it’s an activity that gets you close to nature; it offers plenty of challenges and can be enormously rewarding. It’s also addictive; once you try it, you’ll be hooked.
Whether you’re a seasoned fly-fisher or looking to explore the basics, Glenwood Springs offers ideal opportunities for both. Outfitters lead guided float trips, as well as teach lessons in fly selection and the art of fly-tying. When it comes to casting, the right technique works wonders, but achieving that takes old-fashioned practice. Get started today in Glenwood Springs for the best fly fishing in Colorado.
MORE AREA ACTIVITIES